Arrest My Heart

"But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man unclean." -Matthew 15:18
 
I was drawn to this verse during my devotions today and I must say this blog post might be one heck of a post. I don't know why but I must share it! In all honesty, I was sitting here complaining to God because I was so frustrated with myself, me emotions, my life, etc. (I have a very blessed life, so I really had no reason to complain) It was just one of those "poor, poor me" moments and I'm convinced I'm not the only one that has them. But it just showed me everything I was saying wasn't just coming through my mouth but my heart. My heart is not pretty at times and I'm quite aware of that, but so is God! In fact he knows it more than I do. Clearly.

So while I was reading Matthew 15, I was putting myself in the shoes of the ones Jesus was talking to, more like boom-roasting. Just a fun fact, we are always the one Jesus is talking to; whether its for now or for later. Jesus was punking the Pharisees as to why they break the command of God for the sake of their traditions. (vs 3) Long story short, the Pharisees were taking some minor thing  (washing your hands) and being completely legalistic with it. But Jesus made such a valid point, actually Jesus doesn't make "points"- he speaks truth. While speaking truth... Jesus got to the heart of the problem. Jesus always gets to the heart.* The problem wasn't that the disciples didn't wash their hands.. the problem was the Pharisee's eschewed thinking and heart condition.
 (There is much more context to this passage and to this story; this is just a preface to my perspective-I encourage you greatly to read Matthew. 15)

But the Pharisees only honored God with their lips and their hearts were far from him, they worshiped in vain and their teachings were rules. (vs 8-9) It wasn't about the outward appearance but about the heart- It's always about the heart condition. Your heart must be clean not unclean, your heart must be softened not calloused. Gods all about the heart and that is what he looks at. I'm actually really grateful for that. I know I don't "do" everything right, fortunately, it's not about "Doing" because He already did it. However, my doing flows from my heart.   When my heart is pretty.. I'm not ugly to people; when my hearts ugly, I'm hideous to people. Yet, God loves me enough and consistently pursues me to show me this. It's not Gods wrath coming to get me but his endless love and mercy coming to save me. Save me more everyday and I'm eternally thankful for that.

 So I don't know where anyone else is at, but I know where I am at and my heart can use some cleaning up. It always can.

So... "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way of the everlasting." Save me from myself and make me more like you. Guide me and show me more of YOU! Where my heart is free and found by you. In your powerful name, Amen!

Psalms 139:23-24-  "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way of the everlasting."

Comments

  1. THE biggest HELP that any of us can have is what Paul was telling us in Romans 12:1,2 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
    While we're renewing our minds to God's Word, it becomes the first line of defense that will always make a difference in our lives.
    I LOVE you, Girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts