Growing Pains


One of my favorite chapters in Psalms is Psalms twenty-three. Growing up psalms 23:4 was a signature verse for my life. When I was younger I battled intensely with fear; however, when I was fearful that’s when Gods word became a lively protection for me. Psalms 23:4 says,

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.

This blog post isn’t about fear (although if that is something you’re battling now, know God doesn’t give you a spirit of fear but of sound-mind) but this verse has been uniquely used in my life. It has revealed, in many ways, additional knowledge of who my God is. He is so personal and seeks be personal with you, all for you to encounter true riches of his love and grace. However, this verse has recently shown me a unique perspective into the season I’m currently in.

If I shall say it truthfully, I’ve been having “growing pains”. It’s those seasons that are challenging, and frankly requires perseverance. I don’t think you ever out-grow those seasons, but they somehow take me by surprise when they come. But I can’t complain, because I am so thankful for them! They are the seasons that God guides you through; it’s a season where God is with you closer than you realize. Even though I walk through this season, I will fear no evil, for my God is with me, and his rod and his staff-they comfort me!

In my bible’s study section explained what the rod and the staff represented and I thought this was too cool not to share.

The Rod- (a short club), is weapon of defense against predators and it’s an instrument of discipline for the sheep.

Psalms 23 starts off the chapter, in verse one, saying “The LORD is my shepherd”.

The Staff- (a long slender stick with a hook on the end), is used to bring the sheep closer to shepherd, guide it in the right path or to rescue it!

I find it interesting that it says “his rod and his staff comfort me”!

To put it into perspective, He is our shepherd and we are the sheep. He takes care of the sheep; ALL of them. Through defending us when we are weak, disciplining us when we are learning and growing closer to him, guiding us through our journey and keeping us on the path he has planned for us. He even rescues us when we’ve gotten ourselves into something messy.

So I don’t know about you but I can’t help but embrace this journey. God allows you to go through seasons to shape you. I’m truly convinced that God takes you through seasons you need in order to get you the place He needs you to be. 

So what’s the season you’re in and what are the growing pains you need to face?

Remember his rod and his staff—they comfort you.

Comments

  1. Jocy, I'm thankful that you are hearing God speak with you. We forever need His HELP.
    xoxoxo
    Pamaw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts